Kerto LVL with WeatherGuard surface treatment is a product with hydrofobic coating. The transparent surface treatment provides temporary protection for the product against rain and other liquid water during construction period. Thus it significantly reduces swelling and other undesired effects of moisture. The treatment does not affect the strength properties of the product.
Hydrophobic surface repels water
WeatherGuard treatment makes the surfaces of Kerto LVL hydrophobic and reduces the amount of water absorbed by the product. At the same time the treatment allows the product to breathe and water vapour to move freely.
Kerto LVL with WeatherGuard treatment is used like untreated Kerto LVL in service class 1 and 2 as defined in Eurocode 5 (interior use or exterior use covered from the weather). WeatherGuard treated Kerto LVL products are handled and stored on the construction site like any other wood product.
WeatherGuard treatment gives the product a temporary protection against rainwater. The surfaces can be further treated with standard paints, lacquers and other protection treatments applicable on wood products. The compatibility of the additional surface treatment is recommended to be confirmed from the treatment supplier.
Benefits of the WeatherGuard treatment
Reduced water absorption of the product minimises the moisture deformations. Better dimensional stability makes on-site installation easier.
The moisture content of WeatherGuard treated Kerto LVL remains lower during construction compared to untreated products. Therefore also the drying period of structures is shorter, which enables faster building time and energy savings. In addition, the risk of damage caused by wet structures decreases.
Properties of WeatherGuard treated Kerto LVL
- Strength and stiffness properties are as good as those of untreated Kerto LVL
- Treatment does not affect the reaction and resistance to fire, slip resistance or corrosion of the fasteners compared to untreated Kerto LVL
- Meets the requirements of formaldehyde emission class E1. Treatment does not contain any formaldehyde
- Does not contain any biocides (chemical agents against harmful organisms)
- Can be disposed like untreated Kerto LVL and it contains nothing classified as hazardous waste